Tuesday, December 1, 2009

And So We Come to the End

picure is of a little gold man standing next to a large Q & A symbol
There are so many new things that I have learned this semester in Ms. Averitt's class! To think that I almost tested out of it before I even knew what it entailed. My favorite lessons include learning about iTunes and all you can do with it, learning how to blog, learning how to use Excel (finally!), giving Power Point presentations, and making an iGoogle page that my students could use as a resource. As a prospective physical education teacher, I don't think I will be able to use as many of the tools that a traditional classroom teacher would use, but that doesn't mean I am not going to try to implement technology into my teaching! I am anxious to be able to see what I can do with it.

I can't say that there is anything that I would have liked to learn about in this class but didn't for one simple reason - several of the new things I learned I had never heard of before and basically, I was "in the dark" technologically!!! So, I feel that I learned a lot that I didn't know. On the other hand, I do believe I can do without videopodcasting just for the sheer nerve-wracking experience it was!

I got very excited about giving my power point presentation because it gave me a chance to do something I rarely get to do -talk about me and where I am from! That may sound a little selfish, but today people don't really care about who you are and where you are from. In my experience, most people just want to know what you can do for them. So, being given the opportunity to share myself just a little and be able to talk about my hometown (which I'm very proud of, if anyone could tell!) was very exciting for me.

I didn't find anything "intellectually challenging" in this class which tells me a very simple truth. It says to me that anyone can learn and implement technology into their classroom. It also tells me that what we learned - and that a lot of kids already know, is that technology is the way of the future in the classroom and all over the place. One would be foolish not to embrace it.

There were times that I was bored in the class, but I think that was due to my having some computer skills already. The only thing I would change about the class would be to have it better organized and less confusing. There were times when it seemed like we were jumping from this to that and never really getting clarification on one thing before starting another. However, for the most part, the class was informative and helpful.

Am I Technologically Literate? I would say yes, a little and no, not by a long shot! There is so much to learn and it is an ever-changing and growing phenomenon, so I don't believe I will ever be fully Technologically Literate. However, I've been given the tools to get started and it will be up to me to increase my "literacy." I don't know exactly how I will maintain or improve my techonological literacy from here on out. My guess is that while I am in school, I will probably have the opportunity to use what I have learned in other classes. Once I begin teaching, I will have to ensure I don't lose what I've learned and continue to learn and implement technology into my teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment