Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Stupid Mistakes, Brilliant Things, and New Rules

picuture shows a blackboard as the background with a gray shadow of a teacher in front of it writing Classroom Rules 1.
Doug Johnson's Seven Stupid Mistakes Teachers Make with Technology and his Seven Brilliant Things Teachers Do with Technology are both very informative but succinct. I think any teacher who deals with technology in the classroom should print and display them as daily reminders! The "mistake" that I relate to and should learn from is about not backing up data. I know it is a very simple process - to most. I, though, can't seem to get my mind around the whole process or which backup device to use. I think I have my stuff backed up and remember (vaguely) agreeing to a program that backs up data, but as you can see, I am one of the ones that he would consider "stupid." I need to make sure I get that completely done - before it's too late.

My favorite "brilliant thing" is "put kids in touch with the world." When I read this, I immediately thought of all the students in lower-income school districts who may never get outside of their neighborhood. The internet and programs in the classroom that access it can be a wonderful "window" for those students. The things they can see and learn via technology are so numerous and exciting.

I also looked at the list, New Classroom Rules by Education Innovation. I could not pick just one that I liked because I loved the whole list. I loved how they took the rules of the non-technological classroom and enhanced them to include all the things our students can do today and how they can interact with each other and the world via technology. This is another list I would print out and post in my classroom! Well, when we get to that point in time when it is permissable for all the rules to apply!

No comments:

Post a Comment