Friday, October 9, 2009

iPods in Education, Let Me Count the Ways...


Apparently, I am technologically behind. I thought I was something when I received my iPod Classic for Christmas last year. I was so excited that it would hold 30,000 songs! I have actually added some pictures and unsuccessfully tried to add a video to it (can't quite figure it out yet). I have even downloaded some podcasts to my iTunes library but they have not made any further than that. I'd like to know one thing; how was I to know that I had also received a cutting-edge educational tool? I am only just now finding information that tells me all the different ways I can use my iPod and I must say, the possibilities are staggering!

Duke University handed out iPods to one of their freshman classes in a one-year pilot project to see how they could be utilized in education. Students in that first year used them for gathering field notes, conducting interviews, podcasting, and audio blogging. They also used them as portable hard drives and even signal generators in an engineering class. Instructors used them for podcasts, audio recording references, to record lectures and to record or receive audio files. They were used in several different courses including theater studies, economics, and foreign language.

In researching iPods in Education online, I found a couple of websites that had a lot of great ideas. The Online Education Database article, 100 Ways to Use Your iPod to Learn and Study Better, is a wealth of information. It includes links in various categories such as: study guides, podcasts, tutorials, applications, and classroom help among others. The website http://www.slideshare.net/ has a slideshow by Grace Poli at Jose Martin Middle School in Union City, New Jersey entitled, A Classroom in Your Pocket; iPods in Education that gives several ways iPods can be used. Her suggestions include musical lesson ideas and a neat section called, "Unexpected Uses of the iPods."

Now that I know I have something more valuable than my own personal jukebox, I intend to check out and use some of the ideas for my iPod. It is fascinating that technology allows us, as students, teachers, or just your average Jane, to access and utilize so much of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment