Friday, October 9, 2009

iTunes University - What a Wonderful Tool

An Asian boy in a white shirt concentrating very hard on a iPod or handheld video game he is holding.
iTunes University, part of iTunes, is an educational tool provided by Apple that gives free educational media to anyone who has an iPod or iPhone. Educators, whether individual or collective, can upload lectures, presentations, and numerous types of media content for student perusal. By collective, I mean that university departments at Yale and Stanford utilize iTunes University. It is also utilized by PBS and numerous K-12 programs. The educational possibilities are vast because students can access and use the program from anywhere with their iPod or iPhone.

As a student, I can access the program and use it for research. It offers programs such as edutopia and MITOpenCourseware, among others. Better yet, I can access it from anywhere and use it to study, watch a lecture, or receive a digital lesson from an instructor. I can also browse information from a variety of higher education institutions about the programs they offer or enrollment data.

As a teacher, the program offers several different avenues to involve students in mobile learning. I can use it to present a lecture, upload any kind of media I want my students to see, or create a podcast for my students. The Apple website states that iTunes University is "the engine for the mobile learning movement." If that is the way education is moving, I want to move that way, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment