Thursday, October 8, 2009

Mr. McClung's Advice

a black chalkboard with Teacher learning Center written across it. The T is made of pencils, the L is made of rulers, and the C looks like an apple with a bite taken out. On the left are the letters TLC made in the same way but written at a diagonal. On the right are the words, welcome class. There is an eraser and box of chalk on the board tray.
J.K. McClung's blog, What I've Learned This Year, on the blog site At The Teacher's Desk, is very insightful and wonderful advice for any teacher, whether new or experienced. I was surprised, however, at the number of grammatical errors in his blog, which were distracting to me as I read. It appears that many of those commenting on his blog simply overlooked the errors in favor of congratulating Mr. McClung on the content of his post. I, however, seem to have a problem with an educator posting any work containing grammatical errors. No doubt I am, perhaps, overly critical. On the other hand, I was impressed, as well, with the content of his post.

His first point, which I will sum up in his words, "let your audience drive your instruction" is very helpful to me as a prospective teacher. I already know that I will have difficulty in mastering this because I have a real fear of losing control of the classroom setting. It will be a challenge to learn how to make my classroom a welcoming place where the kids can feel comfortable while maintaining my own sense of control. In following this piece of advice, I think I will be able, also, to incorporate three of his other points: when things go wrong, try to better the situation (with a smile, of course!); encourage students to try again; and listen to students.

I think his third point is good for anyone, but especially for teachers. He said, "Practice all you can and build those strong relationships with teachers and students." He based this point on the fact that communication is essential. The other teachers and the administration we deal with daily will be supremely important as allies in this "fight" to educate our youth. Of course, I think any new teacher would be wise to communicate and listen to the advice of more experienced teachers. They "know the ropes", so to say. I believe that communicating and building a strong relationship with students will also help us to follow his last piece of advice which was, "never stop learning." Any teacher open to communication and willing to forge a good relationship with his or her students will undoubtedly continue to learn.

Finally, Mr. McClung advised us, "Don't fear technology." Anyone with eyes can see that our world is increasingly a technological world. If we intend to teach students of today who will be leaders of tomorrow, we must embrace any and every tool available to us to help ourselves and them be successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment